Saturday, May 3, 2014

Home is Where the Heart Is


Sometimes I find myself missing our house in town.
The house where I could keep the floors clean
because we had sidewalks and paved drives.
The house where I had picked out every paint color, floor covering, counter top 
and light fixture.  And everything matched!
The house where I could walk to the corner store if I had to.

Four years ago this week, we sold that house and bought a quirky home in the country that someone else built.  And, in my opinion, very little matches!

I never seem to linger on my thoughts of missing that house in town too long though
because I quickly remember this home is where I hear our duck quacking 
and splashing outside my window.
Where I have wildflowers in my front yard.
Where I don't have an HOA telling me what I can and can't do.
Where I have room to roam and room to breathe.
And where I have pets that feed me breakfast. :-)

Home is where the heart is.  And my heart is certainly right here. 

3 comments:

Mary said...

This just did my heart good to read, in this day and age when it's all to easy to lose sight of what home truly is and what is important.

Kish said...

Amen!! I love the prospective that you have on what home really means.

Lover of Sangria and Sunsets (yes, together) said...

Beautiful sentiment. I could not agree more.